2 feb. 2009

Quentin Tarantino mocked me...

I read it when I was a bit older simply wanting to read something I knew my sisters held very dear from when they were young.

A funny story about that. Quentin Tarantino mocked me for having read the book.

I had the odd opportunity of meeting Quentin Tarantino. He was promoting his movie Jackie Brown on a show that a family member of mine happened to work on. I was invited to watch and went because a close friend of mine really wanted to meet him. After the show my friend was introduced while I stood in the corner. My family member asked if I wanted to ask Tarantino anything and I was embarrassed couldn't think of anything so I asked, "what are you reading right now"? I was a teenager what can I say? He went through a large list of authors I'd never heard before. Again I was just a teenager at the time. It's not like I could have expected to discuss Deluze or anything with him. He then asked me what I was reading and unfortunately I had just finished "A wrinkle in time". After I told him he looked at me and then exclaimed condescendingly with arms stretched out, "I never read that book, no actually I think I had that book read to me by my 3rd grade teach Mrs. ..." and he made a snarky laugh to everyone in the room.

Not one to be humiliated I struck back and made some snide comment, something along the lines that he could learn something from the book as his films truly were pulp fiction without much depth and that they depended upon and contained excessive cheap violence. I was more succinct about it than that though.

And then something strange happened. Tarantino looked hurt. I actually felt sorry for him at that moment, as if I perhaps had been a little too mean. I looked up at him (the guy's fucking huge) and he bowed his head in shame and looked at me and started talking in a very quiet voice, "You know a lot of people criticize me for the violence in my films and I...." and he continued speaking for a few minutes in an insecure way talking about his work and then sharing some very strange details about his life.

He said he didn't know why his films had so much violence in them. He then said he thought it might be because he didn't know his father and that his mother always had boyfriends over at the apartment or house and some of them were violent. And I stood mesmerized thinking I got all of this out of him after speaking about two sentences with the man! And then almost as soon as he opened up about it all his manager was rushing him out for kickboxing practice or something.

And ever since I've looked at his work from that psychological perspective. His works tend to have an exalted female hero who is often struggling to overcome her relationship with an abusive or powerful man. His films also have narratives that deal heavily with defining masculinity. Kill Bill certainly seemed a bit more interesting after thinking about what he had told me.

And I can thank "A Wrinkle in Time" for all of this, else our conversation would have been like any other meet and greet.


Link.

1 comentario:

  1. Es mí ídolo Tarantino, porque no fue a NYU ni a ninguna prestigiada escuela de cine y es chingón, aunque lo quieran imitar. :)

    ResponderEliminar